Good morning! I am so sorry there has been a little slump in real weddings on the blog, sadly my mum passed away last month and I was staying with my dad, if you’d like to read about what has been going on behind the scenes you can do via Simply Weekend. I am now back home, with reliable internet and space to work so the pretty weddings can recommence, and my goodness, we are starting with a gorgeous one today. The bride, Jade leaves loads of good advice at the end of the post so make sure you read that!
photography | Danielle Smith
The amazing suppliers:
Venue – Blake Hall, Ongar
Wedding photographer – Danielle Smith Photography. We also had The Film Boys video our wedding, we loved seeing this as it’s a short 11 minute film and every time we watch it, it takes us back to our day and how much fun we had.
Flowers – Our flowers were put together by a family friend who does floral arrangements as a hobby.
Bride’s dress /shoes – Dress was Tawny by Maggie Sottero purchased from Grace and Lace in Chelmsford and shoes we’re a nude pair of Louboutins. I’ve never had a pair before so I wanted to make my first pair extra special.
Bride’s hair accessories/veil – I was a bit savvy on this part as I just wanted a plain veil. Grace and Lace quoted me £90 for a 82cm two tier pencil edge veil however I was able to purchase the exact same veil from JJ’s House for £12 giving me more money to spend on little things like table games and decorations.
Bride’s hair /makeup – My hair was done by a family friend and I just wanted simple curls with the top part pinned back with my veil in the center. My makeup was done by Dannielle jade MUA I don’t think I suit heavy make up so I went for subtle neutral colours.
The perfume – Gucci Flora
Bridesmaids’/dresses/shoes/accessories – The dresses were from ASOS I just fell in love with the beaded straps and the colour and the shoes we’re from boohoo.com in the same colour as the dresses ☺.
Groom’s outfit/accessories/shoes – One of the best men is a buyer for River Island which helped us out massively considering my other half had half a football teams worth of groomsmen!!! ☺ He managed to get the suits at half the price with his boss.
Groomsmen’s outfits/accessories – As above, my other half is a busy guy and wasn’t fussed about standing out or being different to the others.
Cake – Myself and Louis aren’t massive cake fans so another savvy save we made was to purchase the cake from M&S, a simple three tier cake with fondant roses and to ‘’make it own’’ I purchased a Mr & Mrs Carter cake topper which I spray painted gold and I asked our florist to make a little posy using the flowers that we’re in our bouquet and on the tables. We we’re so happy with the cake and had so many lovely compliments about it we didn’t mind that we hadn’t splurged out this! Plussss as we went on our honeymoon the following day we didn’t get a slice so we’re even more glad we didn’t pay out hundreds of pounds.
DJ/entertainment – As a wedding present two of our groomsmen provided the dj equipment ‘’LOVE’’ signs and up lighting as they have their own business. Their business is called ‘’Not just a Dj’’.
For our entertainment we wanted to have something that none of our friends have had/seen before and with this we came across Maurice Canham who is the number 1 Del boy impersonator (at first I wasn’t sure on booking him as I didn’t want the day to be tacky however we we’re so glad we booked him as he was loved by everyone!) We also booked Jamie Seagrave who is the most amazing magician (nothing cheesy and he had everyone thinking how the hell did he do that! Since our wedding he has also been booked by both my cousins as he was just so good). We also booked a blackjack casino table and a mirror photo booth for the evening guests. If we we’re to do our wedding day again I would probably advise booking the photo booth appose to the mirror as the photo’s we’re quite dark.
Stationery – All of our stationery was put together by my friend who has a small business on the side called ’’Sent with love’’ she has an etsy page and has since completed both of my cousin’s orders. I wanted to keep things simple but to also have that personal touch I’m sure i bored my friend to death with the personal touches but we couldn’t have been happier with what she did for us.
Décor/wedding details (did you have a theme?) – Our colour theme was along the lines of rose gold and white however I think we side tracked a bit with pinks however we absolutely loved how the venue was decorated. We also hired a flower wall for the day however sadly this didn’t get used much as it was set up behind a table without my knowledge so it didn’t get used however I didn’t let this annoy me or ruin our day.
Catering/food/drink – the catering was done in house by Waters Edge Catering and unfortunately they don’t offer a taster session however the food was AMAZING and worth the surprise!! ☺ Every course was delicious however i LOVE cheesecake and we had a mango and passionfruit cheesecake which was mouth-wateringly good!
Wedding favours – We decided not to do wedding favor’s as we saw this as a waste of money and something that people wouldn’t appreciate. Instead we made origami fortune games with question about the bride and groom and fun dares, we also purchased the funny face cards which had everyone in stitches but most of all our gran parents they loved them!
Honeymoon Destination – With the savings made we splurged on two honeymoons we booked a week in Dominican republic that was the day after our wedding and then 4 days in Vegas a few months later. Both places made us feel special and Dominican was a lovely way to relax after a mad few months however Vegas was just amazing (it’s our favorite place in the world) americans are just so friendly we had the best time and created some great memories with some great people!
Favourite Moment/s? –
- Spending the morning with my bridal party, they made me feel amazing and so special.
- Putting my dress on, while I was head to toe glammed up, the most amazing feeling that I will never forget and a moment I will treasure forever.
- Walking down the isle to beyonce’s version of etta james ‘’at last’’ I instantly felt emotional and couldn’t wait to meet my groom at the end of the isle.
- Hearing my dads speech is definitely one of my favorite memories, he’s not a great public speaker and won’t mind me saying so however he really pulled it out of the bag and had me in tears and everyone in stitches!
- Partying with all our friends and family, we may have had one or two many prosecco’s however we wanted the day to be fun, full of life and one that people would remember ☺.
Tips for those in the planning process –
- Make sure you find out from the venue any hidden cost’s (i.e. the house me and my bridal party stayed at and got ready in was a hidden cost at £400 + vat which is one of the main factors we had to be a bit savvy with some of the above items, the food tasting we we’re already spending £90p/h and to try the food was £80 p/h we weren’t impressed with this however had we known to ask this question it may have been less of a surprise)
- Don’t be afraid to save money, just because my veil and the cake we’re brought at the fraction of the price it doesn’t mean our day went any differently.
- Stay strong, to everyone who believe that they’re helping (i.e. with inviting long lost family members to the day or by saying ‘’oh I wouldn’t do that’’ or ‘’the décor needs more colour’’ be strong to say this is our wedding and we will have the final say).
- DON’T DRINK TOO MUCH, unfortunately 3 glasses in the morning with the girls and then a few during the reception photo’s and a few more during speeches and dinner can blur the day a lot! You’re already full of nerves/adrenalin so drink does not help relax you.
- Have fun, don’t let things like the flower wall annoy you, the weather ruin your plans or that people are talking through the speeches while your videographers are trying to get footage. At the end of the day what will be will and as long as you and your groom have had an amazing day then that’s all that matters.
Where did you find your inspiration? Pinterest, instagram & Etsy … where else!!! Haha